31.5.12

Movie a day: The Virgin Suicides

Since I found some (a lot of) free time in my hand, I decided to watch movies that I've been either not in the mood to watch or didn't have time to watch.

I usually love movies that are lighthearted, definite, and rather stupid.
I'm not a movie connoisseur. My favorite actor is Will Ferrell. lol I love him.
But, I have my reasons for sometimes refusing the "good" movies.
Stupid movies don't make me feel or think. Usually helps with escaping reality.
Silly movies don't break my heart or have lingering effects that change my views and values.

But, sometimes I want the heartbreak, the empathy, the triumph.
I tend to regret and rejoice after.

The Virgin Suicides was the latter kind of movie.
yea yea yea, I haven't watched it until tonight.
The title scared me.
Suicides = death.
I don't like death.


But, the motivation came from Elle Fanning's instagram. lol
yes, I follow Elle Fanning on instagram.
I think she's just adorable and interesting!
Anyways, she apparently loves the movie, so I became curious.
And, I avoid romantic or popular older (pre 21st century) movies usually (I dislike them because they are too unreal, surreal, and put weird ideas in my head that make me hate reality), so I don't watch a lot of Sofia Coppola films.
I honestly couldn't tell you any of her movies off top of my head, other than this movie.
I know what she looks like if that makes anyone feel better. lol

 So, I figured WHY NOT when I saw it on Amazon Prime.

Well, fuck.
It was fantastic and a bummer.
I passionately dislike non-ending endings.
I like all my loose ends tied.
Again, I don't want things to linger, and loose ends linger.
But, it was addicting. Even though I was scared to death (hah!) about seeing dead bodies right before going to sleep (or any point in the day, really), I couldn't stop watching.
I loved the delicate and almost fleeting quality throughout the whole movie.
Everything was SO dark, yet everything was filled with light and warmth.
It was the juxtaposition and mixture of restraint and suffocation with giddiness and love that really made my heart flutter with empathy and desperation.

Everything about it was so beautiful and terrible.

I love and hate the movie.

On a lighter note, I hate Josh Hartnett's hair. ew.

And I saw a lot of Elle Fanning in Kirsten Dunst's looks in the movie. Maybe she really is obsessed with the movie lol.

And I think it would be fantastic to have natural blonde hair and blue eyes. They have that ethereal and angelic quality that I envy.
It's so hard being Asian. #firstworldproblems

On that note, kind of, I think the most attractive quality in woman is the combination of adorable innocence and undeniable seductiveness. And I believe that Marilyn Monroe had that. And so does Lux, even though I think in her case it's more mystery than innocence that attract the world. But ultimately it's the process of losing her innocence that is heartbreaking to me.

Anyways, my goal is to watch a movie a day. I think it's not TOO difficult to achieve since all my TV shows have ended. :(


No comments:

Post a Comment